Monday, October 8, 2007

How Big is your Blogroll -or- The Importance of Link Juice

Recently I’ve been noticing more and more blogs that have blogrolls of 10, 20 even 30 or more links. Some of these are really good blogs and a few even rank pretty well. When I see these blogs I often wonder if they realize how much ranking they are giving away.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against a little link love. As a matter of fact I’m very much for it. But giving a little link love here and there and giving someone a link on every single page of your blog are two totally different things.

To me, link juice is extremely important. The more I can preserve for my own pages, your dofollowed comment links and links in individual posts the better. If my blogroll had loads of links, the link juice that passes on to my other pages, your dofollowed comment links and other people’s links that I link to in individual posts would be far less!

If someones blog is so good that you want to give them a sitewide link, then you’ll probably be linking to their posts often anyway. Preserve your link juice by reducing the size of your blog roll and do just that. Link to their posts and give them link love that way. This way when you do link to their posts they will get more out of it and your own posts will rank higher, as the blogroll is no longer sucking up all your link juice.

The fact that every page on the Internet distributes PR among all the links that appear on it isn’t anything new. It’s just surprising how many people don’t think of that when building their blogroll.

My aim isin’t to criticize anyone. It’s actually to help anyone that will listen. If you have 10 or more links in your blogroll and you reduce that number considerably, I almost guarantee your blog’s rankings will gradually increase, as it’s own links will now be getting much more link juice.

Just food for thought, hopefully a few people eat it :)

1 comment:

maria said...

Excellent advice.

Marie